When we try to heal, especially from a chronic, longstanding condition, it is often beneficial or necessary to eliminate certain foods from our diet, at least for a while.
Usually this evokes thoughts of deprivation, of removing beloved foods. Rather than an attitude of deprivation, a more helpful concept is of replacing problematic foods with more appropriate ones.
For instance (depending on what you can tolerate):
Bread – wheat can be replaced with rice flour or other alternative breads.
- pizza – pesto sauce rather than tomato based
- french fries – home baked sweet potato or yam fries (see below)
- hot sauce – often tomatillo based; green salsas are ok
- coconut kefir rather than cow dairy kefir (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04FlLeJXC7E)
- some tolerate raw cheese compared to regular cheese (Trader Joe’s has inexpensive ones)
- almond, rice or coconut milk rather than cow’s milk
Pancakes – yummy savory zucchini/rice flour pancakes (see below).
Tortillas – brown rice flour tortillas have a wonderful texture when cooked.
Ice Cream – Coconut Bliss, sorbet, or frozen banana ice cream (see below).
*** Let’s share our favorites! ***
Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 – 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 small sweet potatoes, each cut lengthwise into 8 wedges (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- Salt and mustard powder
Toss wedges with oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and mustard powder. Lay in a single layer in baking dish and bake at 400* for 45 minutes or so, until browned and crispy-edged.
Savory Zucchini Pancakes
- finely grate 1 medium to large zucchini
- stir in 2 eggs
- mix in 4 – 6 Tbl rice flour (for these I much prefer the texture of grinding my own from uncooked brown rice in a coffee grinder until fine)
Fry in oiled pan as you would a pancake. Flip when first side is toasty browned. Salt while cooking. Can vary proportions to make it eggier or doughier if preferred. Can add chopped onion, herbs or cheese for variety.
Banana ice cream
- Peel ripe bananas, break into 1” chunks and freeze until solid in a freezer bag
- Blend in blender or run through a Champion juicer if you have one
Be amazed at how thick, creamy and sweet it is!
Brown Rice Pie Crust (for double crust pie)
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- ½ tsp salt mix and add butter with pastry cutter
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs lightly beaten mix and add to above
- 2 Tbl cold water
Roll out each half of the dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper and flip into pie pan. Repeat for top crust.
What is your favorite “substitution “ recipe? Let’s share our tricks!