At some point in almost every family’s school age years, at least one child will come home with head lice. Lice know no socio-economic boundaries and even household cleanliness does not play a role in the initial infection. The standard treatments for lice – medicated shampoos – contain highly toxic pesticides. As the skin absorbs readily, these poisons are also absorbed into your child’s system. There must be a better way. Fortunately, there is!
Safe and effective treatment
- Cover the hair with a thick layer (2 inches) of full fat mayonnaise
- Cover head with a shower cap and wrap head in a towel
- Leave the mayonnaise in for several hours or hours or overnight.
The mayonnaise suffocates the lice. It may take a couple shampoos to remove the oils but mayonnaise is actually good for your hair. It is an old remedy for beautiful shiny hair.
Comb through the cleaned hair with a fine nit comb to remove the nits. The vinegar in the mayonnaise helps to disintegrate the glue that attaches the nits to the hair shaft.
Repeat the procedure in 5 days to address any nits you may have missed that have now developed into lice. If need be repeat in another 5 days to a week.
You will still need to wash bedding, clothing or toys that have come in contact with the child’s head.
It’s good to remember that there is usually a better way to treat what ails us than poisoning the body in the process.