This soup has everything going for it. Its flavor is complex – sweet, spicy and creamy. You’d swear you are eating at a 5 star restaurant! The fresh corn, creamy coconut milk, and a burst of jalapeño peppers and lime create a complex, gourmet flavor.
Ingredients 4-6 servings
- 2 Tbl coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1-1/2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (thawed if frozen) Trader Joe’s frozen “Organic Super Sweet Corn” is great
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk – 14 oz
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 3 pickled jalapeños, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
- 3 Tbl unsweetened coconut flakes
- Cook coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and sauté until lightly browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, fresh jalapeños, and corn. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft and the soup is fragrant, about 15-20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot. Stir in the lime zest and juice. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- This creates a smooth creamy soup. You can add more unblended corn at the end to create a soup with a chunkier texture.
- Garnish each bowl with minced cilantro, pickled jalapeños, corn kernels, and coconut flakes.